Truth in Food Labeling!
October 23, 2017, 07:21:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pet Food: The Lowdown on Labels - FDA  (Read 4072 times)
Admin-Kat
JOIN the Truth-in-Food-Labeling -- MOVEMENT!
Administrator

Fighting for our rights!

« on: May 15, 2007, 10:55:02 PM »

U.S. Food and Drug Administration
FDA Consumer magazine
May-June 2001
Table of Contents

Pet Food: The Lowdown on Labels

By Linda Bren

Choosing a pet food from among the cans, bags, and boxes stacked on store shelves can be a daunting experience. Which formulation of food is best? Is my dog old enough for "adult formula"? Does my cat really need "premium"? Will Fido be healthier on "natural" food and will Fluffy fully appreciate "gourmet"?

U.S. consumers spend more than $11 billion a year on cat and dog food, according to the Pet Food Institute. And pet food manufacturers compete for these dollars by trying to make their products stand out among the many types of dry, moist, and semi-moist foods available. Pet food packaging carries such descriptive words as "senior," "premium," "super-premium," "gourmet," and "natural." These terms, however, have no standard definition or regulatory meaning.

"But other terms do have specific meanings, and pet foods, which are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM), must carry certain information on their labels. Consumers can be confident that their pets are eating a nutritionally sound food if they understand the full significance of these labels."

My comment:  How about SAFE FOOD??  No added MELAMINE, CYANURIC ACID, etc??

This is a GRASSROOTS MOVEMENT to put the human and pet food manufacturer's of America on alert, that we will not tolerate vague labeling of our foods, any longer.

We want full disclosure of ingredients, source/country-of-origin, place of manufacturing & place of distribution, including a toll-free number.

Oh, by-the-way -- STOP POISONING OUR FOOD!!!
witchi

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:03:56 PM »

This is definately something that needs doing NOW! Not later.
The problem I see is money talks and all we are going to get
is hot air until we can get enough people behind us.
Keep up good work.

Witchi
Admin-Kat
JOIN the Truth-in-Food-Labeling -- MOVEMENT!
Administrator

Fighting for our rights!

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 10:39:51 AM »

Hi Witchi!

Thanks for the post the other day!  Welcome!

I don't know if you've checked out PetConnection.com.  There are a bunch of us on this blog.  You'll meet 1000 "best friends" there.  Sen. Durbin's was even soliciting opinions there prior to his S.B. 1274.

Now, there's needed action to both bills Durbin's S. 1274 and DeLauro's H.R. 2108.
Both bills are in jeopardy!  

The full list of Food Safety Bills are posted  HERE on this website.

Also, Itchmo and their forum are very good, as well as others.

I go by user name: Kat on both sites.

Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 01:19:26 PM by Admin-Kat » Logged

This is a GRASSROOTS MOVEMENT to put the human and pet food manufacturer's of America on alert, that we will not tolerate vague labeling of our foods, any longer.

We want full disclosure of ingredients, source/country-of-origin, place of manufacturing & place of distribution, including a toll-free number.

Oh, by-the-way -- STOP POISONING OUR FOOD!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: